German Potato Soup
Brown onion, in oil, to a light golden color in butter in a saucepan.
- 1 medium - Onion, sliced
- Cooking oil
- ¼ cup - Butter
- 3 medium - Leeks (white part only), sliced
- 2 pounds - Potatoes, peeled & sliced
- 1 - Ham bone
- ¼ teaspoon - Dried thyme leaves
- 6 cups - Chicken or beef stock
- ½ pint - Heavy cream
- Salt & white pepper, to taste
Add leeks, potatoes, ham bone, thyme & stock (or water) to onion.
Cover and simmer until potatoes are very soft.
Remove ham bone, discard.
Cool potato-leek mixture slightly.
Puree in a food processor or blender and return to pot.
Add cream and cook a few minutes longer.
Season with salt & pepper to taste.
Serve with croutons.